Harvey Applebaum is a senior counsel in Covington & Burling's Antitrust and International Trade Practices. His antitrust and consumer protection practice includes Department of Justice and FTC investigations and litigation, both civil and criminal; private antitrust litigation; and a diverse counseling practice, including distribution, price discrimination, competitor arrangements, mergers and joint ventures, intellectual property, and trade associations.
Mr. Applebaum's international trade practice involves International Trade Commission, Commerce Department and U.S. Trade Representative proceedings under the antidumping and countervailing duty laws, Section 201 of the Trade Act and other trade laws, and WTO and NAFTA dispute matters. He also has an active practice in customs law matters, including classification, valuation, foreign origin, compliance reviews, NAFTA, and penalty proceedings. He has been regularly involved in trade law and customs law judicial appeals.
Mr. Applebaum is a former Chairman of the American Bar Association Antitrust Law Section, was the first Chairman of the Editorial Board of ABA Antitrust Law Developments, was Chairman of the Section's Robinson-Patman Act Committee, and has been a member of several Antitrust Section task forces. He is currently a member of the Section's International Antitrust Task Force.
Mr. Applebaum is a lecturer in antitrust law at the University of Virginia Law School. He has written numerous articles on antitrust law and international trade law subjects. He has participated regularly in continuing legal education seminars and programs and has regularly chaired programs on antitrust and trade law topics. For example, he speaks regularly on the Robinson-Patman Act at the PLI Annual Antitrust Institute in New York.
Honors and Rankings
- The Best Lawyers in America, Antitrust, Commercial Litigation, and International Trade and Finance (2006-2015)
- International Who’s Who of Trade and Customs Lawyers (2008-2010)
- International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Trade & Customs (2005-2008)
- Chamber's Global, International Trade (2007)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers, Competition and Antitrust (2000-2006)
Publications and Speeches
- "Antitrust Implications of Settlements of Antidumping Cases," International Trade Update, Georgetown Law Center (2007)
- "May the Seller Restrict What the Buyer Buys and Resells?," Legal Aspects of Selling and Buying (Tying Arrangements and Exclusive Dealing), Chapter 4 (Third Edition) and regular cumulative supplements (2004), Author
- "Robinson-Patman Act," PLI Annual Antitrust Institute (1972-2007)