Gerry Waldron represents communications, media, and technology clients before the Federal Communications Commission and Congress, and in commercial transactions. Mr. Waldron served as chair of the firm’s Communications & Media Practice Group from 1998 to 2008. Prior to joining Covington, Mr. Waldron served as the senior counsel on the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications. During his work for Congress, he was deeply involved in the drafting of the 1993 Spectrum Auction legislation, the 1992 Cable Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), CALEA, and key provisions that became part of the 1996 Telecommunications Act.
Mr. Waldron’s practice includes working closely on strategic and regulatory issues with leading IT companies, high-quality content providers in the broadcasting and sports industries, telephone and cable companies on FCC proceedings, spectrum entrepreneurs, purchasers of telecommunications services, and companies across an array of industries facing privacy, TCPA and online content, and gaming issues.
Mr. Waldron has testified on communications and Internet issues before the FCC, U.S. House of Representatives Energy & Commerce Committee, the House Judiciary Committee, the Maryland Public Utility Commission, and the Nevada Gaming Commission.
- Represents NBC and CBS Network Affiliates Televisions Associations on policy, strategic, and regulatory matters before the FCC and Congress.
- Represents leading online and media companies concerning the FCC’s CVAA accessibility rules.
- Represents NFL on spectrum and television policy issues before the FCC.
- Represented a top 5 global automotive supply company in a $800 million contract for telecom services and networks.
- Represented a coalition of leading IT companies advocating for net neutrality rules.
- Represented Frontline Wireless on spectrum regulatory policy, Hill advocacy, and negotiations with financial investors.
- Represented a broad industry coalition that successfully advocated for changes to FCC rules and passage of law amending TCPA.
- Represents leading online companies on online gambling.
Honors and Rankings
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America for Communications Law (2007-2008; 2012-2014)
- Recognized by Legal 500 US for Telecoms and Broadcast (2013)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Federal Communications Bar Association, Member
- Adjunct Professor, Catholic University Columbus School of Law, Institute for Communications Law Studies (1999-present)
Publications and Speeches