Gaëtan Verhoosel is a partner in the firm’s London office and a co-chair of the firm's International Arbitration Practice. Mr. Verhoosel acts as counsel and sits as arbitrator in both commercial and investment treaty arbitrations, both under the rules of the major arbitral institutions and ad hoc. Mr. Verhoosel’s engagements have involved a variety of jurisdictions in Western and Eastern Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa, and a wide range of industries that includes most prominently oil & gas, energy, infrastructure and concessions, and telecommunications. An English Solicitor, French Avocat and Spanish Abogado, Mr. Verhoosel handles arbitrations in English, French and Spanish.
Mr. Verhoosel has been named as one of Global Arbitration Review's "45 Under 45" and sources say "he is regarded as 'one of the stars of his generation.'" He has been ranked as a leading international arbitration practitioner in all major publications, including Chambers UK, Chambers Global (Europe, Global and Latin America), PLC Which Lawyer (England), Legal 500 (UK), Legal 500 (Latin America), and Who’s Who Legal. The latest edition of Chambers UK (2014) notes that he “is attracting a lot of attention in the market for his skilled advocacy” and that adversaries have described him as “an exceptional advocate.”
He is presently a vice-chair of the ABA International Arbitration Committee, member of the ICCA-Queen Mary Task Force on Third-Party Funding, chair-elect of the IBA Subcommittee on Investment Arbitration, the rapporteur to the 2012 IBA Subcommittee on Arbitrator Conflicts of Interest, the president of the British Chapter of the Club Español de Arbitraje, and a member of the editorial board of the ICSID - Foreign Investment Review.
Mr. Verhoosel currently teaches investment treaty law and arbitration at King’s College, Dickson Poon School of Law (Master of Laws program), the University of Bern, World Trade Institute (Master of International Law and Economics program), and the University of Barcelona, Faculty of Laws (Master in International Economic Law and Policy program). He serves as the non-US member of the Advisory Board of Columbia University's Centre for International Commercial and Investment Arbitration.
Between 2000 and 2002, Mr. Verhoosel held an appointment as Legal Advisor at the World Trade Organisation in Geneva, where he advised WTO dispute settlement panels adjudicating disputes between sovereigns across a range of industry sectors.
- Counsel for a European gas major in a Spanish law ICC arbitration relating to European and African assets.
- Counsel for a European oil & gas major in an English law ICC arbitration relating to African assets; claims exceed $100 million.
- Counsel for an Asian NOC in a New York law ICDR arbitration relating to Latin American assets; claims exceed $100 million.
- Counsel for a European wind turbine manufacturer in an investment treaty arbitration against a Middle Eastern State under UNCITRAL Rules.
- Counsel for a European oil & gas major in an ICC arbitration under English law arising out of a services agreement.
- Counsel for a large Spanish engineering firm in securing the dismissal of injunctions brought against them in the High Courts in England and Mumbai.
- Counsel for a US oil & gas independent in a multi-billion dollar ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State, in a dispute arising out of alleged breaches of a bilateral investment treaty and a production sharing agreement.
- Counsel for a European oil refinery business in an ad hoc arbitration against various UK underwriters arising out of property damage and business interruption claims exceeding $150 million.
- Counsel for large independent oil & gas companies in an ICDR arbitration under New York law arising out of a crude transportation agreement.
- Counsel for a Bermuda company in a LCIA arbitration against a Russian investment firm arising out of investment brokerage arrangements.
- Counsel for a European oil & gas major in a dispute arising out of alleged breaches of a joint venture agreement relating to natural gas assets in Latin America.
- Counsel for a Lithuanian petrochemicals company in an LCIA arbitration against a US contractor, in a dispute arising out of alleged breaches of a project management agreement.
- Counsel for a French oil & gas independent in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State, in a dispute arising out of alleged breaches of a bilateral investment treaty and several production sharing agreements.
- Counsel for an Indian industrial conglomerate in LCIA and ad hoc arbitral proceedings under English and Indian law relating to alleged breaches of a shareholders and share purchase agreement.
- International Counsel in the international dispute resolution group of a major international law firm.
- Legal Advisor at the World Trade Organisation, Geneva, advising WTO dispute settlement panels adjudicating international trade and investment disputes between sovereigns across a range of industry sectors.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers UK, International Arbitration (2011-2014)
- Chambers Global, International Arbitration (Europe-wide), International Arbitration (Global-wide) and International Arbitration (Latin America-wide) - Clients say: "He is a strategically strong and practical lawyer." He is "strategically strong with a clear vision of where to go in cases" (2012-2013).
- Chambers Latin America, International Arbitration - "He's so sharp, committed and convincing, he'll be one of the leading names in the region soon enough." (2010-2012)
- Chambers Europe, International Arbitration, Europe-wide (2012-2013) - "Gaëtan Verhoosel is highly rated for his arbitration work and multilingual abilities, having practised in Dutch, French, English and Spanish in jurisdictions across Europe. Clients comment that he is "strategically strong with a clear vision of where to go in cases." (2012)
- PLC Which Lawyer? Dispute Resolution: Arbitration, England (2011-2012)
- Legal 500 Latin America, International Arbitration (2012)
- Legal 500 UK, International Arbitration (2010-2013)
- Global Arbitration Review, 45 under 45 (2011)
- Who’s Who Legal, Commercial Arbitration (2010-2012)
Memberships and Affiliations
- ICCA-Queen Mary Task Force on Third-Party Funding, Member
- International Bar Association’s Investment Arbitration Subcommittee, Chair
- ABA International Arbitration Committee, Vice-Chair
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Arbitraje, Member
- IBA Arbitrator Conflicts of Interest Subcommittee, Rapporteur
- ICSID Review, Member, Editorial Board
- British Chapter of the Club Español de Arbitraje, President
- International Bar Association, Member
- International Law Association, Member
- Institut d’Arbitrage International, Member
- LCIA European Users’ Council, Member
- King’s College, Dickson Poon School of Law, Visiting Lecturer (2012-present)
- University of Bern, World Trade Institute, global faculty member (2012-present)
- IELPO program, University of Barcelona, global faculty member (2008-present)
- Science Po graduate school, Paris, visiting lecturer (2005-2007)
Publications and Speeches
- Mr. Verhoosel was quoted in “Top of the Heap” Columbia Law School Magazine (Spring 2012).
- "Investment Treaty Arbitration," Dutch Arbitration Day (9/25/2013)
- "Caratube International Oil Company LLP v Republic of Kazakhstan: Revisiting Threshold Jurisdictional Questions--the Meaning of Foreign Control and Investment," ICSID Review 2013 28: 301-306 (Fall 2013), Co-Author
- "The Future of Investment Arbitration in Latin America," Club Español del Arbitraje (4/19/2013)