- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1978
- with Honors
- Order of the Coif
- New York University Law Review, Articles Editor
- Barnard College, B.A., 1975
- summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Hon. Frank M. Coffin, U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 1978-1979
- District of Columbia
Elaine Stone is a partner in the firm’s White Collar Defense and Investigations Practice Group. Her recent matters include lead roles in advising the Board of a major national healthcare company with respect to transforming its culture into one of compliance; in conducting sensitive and high-profile investigations on behalf of Special Committees of Boards of Directors, including those of HP and Adelphia Communications Corporation; and in assisting the World Bank’s Department of Institutional Integrity with respect to allegations of corruption in a major African aid program.
Prior to joining Covington, Ms. Stone served as Counsel to the Impeachment Trial Committee of the United States Senate; as Associate Counsel to the AEI-Brookings Project on the Independent Counsel Project, headed by former Senate leaders George Mitchell and Bob Dole; and as an Assistant District Attorney in Nueces County, Texas.
- Representation of the Special Committee of the Board of Directors, HP, in its investigation of the use of “pretexting” by private investigators.
- Representation of the Special Committee of the Board of Directors, Adelphia Communications Corporation, in its internal investigation of wrongdoing by members of the Rigas family.
- Board monitor for a national health care company under criminal and civil investigation; representation included full review of compliance policies and practices, internal investigations of alleged misconduct by executives, and recommendations as to corrective actions.
- Representation of an international telecommunications carrier in a criminal antitrust investigation, which was closed by the Justice Department.
- AEI-Brookings Project on the Independent Counsel Statute, headed by former Senate leaders George Mitchell and Bob Dole, Associate Counsel (1998-1999)
- Impeachment Trial Committee on the Articles Against Judge Alcee L. Hastings, United States Senate, Counsel (1989)
- Assistant District Attorney, Corpus Christi, Texas (1984-1985)
Honors and Rankings
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2014)
- Representation of individual convicted of murder and sentenced to life without possibility of parole in West Virginia state habeas proceedings.
Publications and Speeches