Founded nearly a century ago in Washington, DC, Covington & Burling LLP today is recognized as a leading international law firm, with more than 850 lawyers practicing in Beijing, Brussels, London, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, and Washington. The firm is known for the high quality of its work, its in-depth knowledge of key industries, its sophistication in complex regulatory, corporate and litigation matters, deep loyalty to its clients, and its commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards. We advise and represent major companies of all types, and have particular expertise in the software and high-technology industries, pharmaceutical, biotechnology and life sciences sector, oil and gas sector, defense industry, consumer products and branded goods industry, financial institutions industry, and media sector. We also have significant experience advising foreign governments and international organizations.
Covington is highly regarded for the scope and breadth of its international practice, including its work for clients in the Middle East. For more than a decade, our international practice has been handling matters from and in the region. Much of our work has focused on inbound investment into the US, financial institutions, and export controls. We have also handled transactional matters in the region and advised on investigations and disputes involving Middle Eastern operations. We frequently serve as advisors or advocates on projects and transactions presenting novel and complex issues of Middle Eastern scope and importance. Our clients include companies and governmental entities active in virtually all sectors of the Middle East's economy.
- Advising Microsoft and the Business Software Alliance in preparation of comments on the IP and E-Commerce chapters of the US-Bahrain Free Trade Agreement.
- Advising Agelef, the international shipping company, on tax and corporate matters relating to its commercial presence in Qatar and long-term LNG transportation contracts throughout the world.
- Acting as Gulf Counsel in Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar to Morgan Stanley on an international infrastructure fund.
- Advising Bain Capital, the Boston-based private equity firm, on a major securities listing in Jordan.
- Representing, before the President, Prime Minister and senior officials of Pakistan, US and EU companies seeking stronger intellectual property rights protection.
- Advising an oil company on sanctions compliance and conflicting oil claims in Southern Sudan.
- Coordinating an internal investigation for a leading multinational industrial company on compliance with Middle East trade sanctions programs, and representing the company before the U.S. Departments of Treasury and Commerce.
- Advising Lockheed Martin, the US-based defense company, in a state-wide surveillance contract with the Government of Qatar.
- Advising Siemens LLC on its establishment in Qatar, including major matters such as tax and government defense contracts.