David Martin is co-head of the firm's securities practice and advises corporations and other entities, directors, financial professionals, investors and other clients in corporate, corporate governance, securities regulation and transactional matters. He has led teams of lawyers in corporate finance, business combination and other change of control transactions, including public offerings, spin-offs, proxy contests, and tender offers. He counsels boards, senior executives, and investors in a range of governance policies and procedures. His practice also includes enforcement cases before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, internal investigations and corporate compliance issues.
Mr. Martin's career includes seven years of service with the SEC, where, prior to joining Covington, he was the Director of the Division of Corporation Finance. In this position, he was the senior executive officer for the agency's program for review of reports of public companies to securities markets and investors. Previously at the SEC, Mr. Martin served as special counsel to the Chairman.
Mr. Martin is a frequent lecturer and author of articles. He serves as an officer on the Board of the Securities and Exchange Commission Historical Society, having previously been its Chairman and President, and had four years of active duty service in the U.S. Navy.
Honors and Rankings
- The Best Lawyers in America (2005-2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Washington Corporate Compliance Lawyer of the Year (2013)
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers (2006-2012)
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyer (2010-2012)
- Washingtonian, Best Lawyer (2009, 2011)
- The International Who's Who of Capital Markets Lawyers (2010)
- Euromoney, Guide to the World's Leading Experts (2006-2008)
- The BTI Client Service All-Star Team (2006, 2010)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association’s Corporate Laws Committee (Section of Business Law)
- Member, Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance Advisory Board
- Member, ALI CLE’s Securities Law Advisory Panel
Publications and Speeches