Derek Lawlor is an associate in the firm’s Washington office and a member of the firm’s Election & Political Law and White Collar practice groups. He assists corporations, nonprofit organizations, and trade associations with federal and state lobbying, campaign finance, and government ethics issues. Mr. Lawlor also represents clients in government investigations and inquiries conducted by the Federal Election Commission, Office of Congressional Ethics, and Congressional Committees and Commissions.
Prior to receiving his law degree, Mr. Lawlor worked in the Office of General Counsel at the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Advising several Super PACs on issues related to formation, operation, and compliance with campaign finance laws.
- Representing federal candidates and officeholders in matters before the Federal Election Commission.
- Representing a tech company in a successful FEC advisory opinion request regarding an online political giving program.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in investigations by the Senate Finance Committee and House Energy and Commerce Committee.
- Representing major financial institutions in investigations by the Congressional Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission (FCIC).
- Advising investment firms on state and local pay-to-play and lobbying compliance issues.
- Advising a public relations firm on compliance with the Foreign Agents Registration Act.
- Representing Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts as regulatory compliance counsel.
- Representing an individual in a private adoption matter.
- Advising a nonprofit organization on political tax and lobbying issues.
Publications and Speeches