- Stanford Law School, J.D., 1982
- Stanford Law Review, Articles Editor
- University of Oxford, M.A., 1981
- University of Oxford, B.A., 1976
- University of California, Santa Cruz, A.B., 1974
- Hon. Joseph T. Sneed, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
David Goodwin is partner in the firm’s San Francisco office and a member of the Insurance Coverage, Arbitration, and Appellate practice groups.
Mr. Goodwin is one of the nation’s leading insurance coverage practitioners, ranked in the highest tier by Chambers USA both nationally and in California. Law360 has named him one of the country’s top three “most valuable players” in the insurance practice area. Chambers USA described him as “one of the strongest players around in contentious insurance cases” and “a world-class litigator and an expert in insurance disputes.” Who’s Who Legal calls him a “superb coverage lawyer.”
With nearly 30 years of experience representing corporate policyholders in insurance coverage disputes and litigation, his practice runs the gamut of insurance issues, including major property damage and business interruption losses, errors and omissions, fidelity, crime, financial guarantee, and director and officer claims, offshore, and onshore construction insurance disputes, and marine, products liability and environmental insurance matters. Mr. Goodwin has served as a party arbitrator in numerous insurance arbitrations. He also is a highly experienced appellate advocate who has argued more than 50 appeals.
Mr. Goodwin is a vice-chair of Covington’s litigation practice. He also has served as an adjunct professor at The University of California at Berkeley Law School, where he taught courses on insurance law.
- Lead counsel for a leading managed health entity in two successful jury trials concerning professional liability coverage for consumer class action claims.
- Represented an oil refinery in a significant business interruption insurance claim that resulted in a multi-hundred million dollar recovery for the insured.
- Represented a paint manufacturing company in a successful jury trial and two dozen successful summary adjudication motions resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars of coverage for the client’s asbestos liabilities.
- Represented a major oil company in a successful appeal of insurance issues arising from the sinking and explosion of the Deepwater Horizon.
- Represented a financial institution in a successful trial, affirmed on appeal, to obtain errors and omissions insurance coverage for consumer tort claims.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a hospitality industry client on a nine figure builders’ risk insurance claim arising out of a construction accident.
Honors and Rankings
- Law360 - MVP, Insurance
- The Daily Journal, Top 100 Lawyers in California
- Best Lawyers in America - Lawyer of the Year, Insurance Law
- Chambers USA (highest tier of policyholder lawyers both nationally and in California)
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
- The Practical Law Company (PLC) - Insurance and Reinsurance, The Law and Leading Lawyers Worldwide
- Super Lawyers of Northern California
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Star - California
- Who’s Who Legal: Insurance and Reinsurance
- Woodward/White Inc.’s “Best Lawyers in America”
- Legal 500 US (Recommended as an Insurance, Healthcare, and Energy: Litigation Lawyer)
- Best of the Best USA - Insurance and Reinsurance
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Law Institute
- Bar Association of San Francisco (former President, Insurance Coverage Section)
- Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS)
- American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- San Francisco Mechanics’ Institute, former Chair of the Board of Trustees
- State Bar of California Insurance Law Section, former Member, Board of Directors
Publications and Speeches
- Contributer to California Practice Guide: Insurance Litigation (Rutter Group 2014).
- Mr. Goodwin has spoken at ten Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS) annual conventions and dozens of Bar Association, trade group, and other seminars.
- "Business Interruption and Other Business Coverages," California Property Insurance Law and Litigation (CEB) (2011), Co-Author
- "Business Interruption: Coverage, Claims and Recovery," 2d ed. (2011), Co-Author
- "Insurance Coverage for Trademark Matters," McCarthy on Trademarks and Unfair Competition (rev. ed.) (2011), Co-Author