Damien Geradin is a partner in the firm’s Brussels office and the firm’s co-chair of the EU litigation practice, with broad experience in EU competition law and intellectual property. Mr. Geradin has also acquired significant expertise in several industries, such as the high-tech and life sciences sectors.
Mr. Geradin defends client in investigations launched by the European Commission and national competition authorities, and represents clients before the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union. Over the years, he has been involved in some of the most complex EU abuse of dominance cases, including EU investigations against Qualcomm, Microsoft and Slovak Telekom/Deutsche Telekom.
Mr. Geradin is currently a Professor of competition law and economics at Tilburg University and a Professor of Law at George Mason University. Over the years, he has held visiting Professorships at leading US law schools including Columbia, Harvard and Yale. He is the co-author of Global Antitrust Antitrust Law and Economics (2nd 2011) and EU Law and Life Sciences (2014). He is a non-governmental advisor of the ICN and a member of the International Task Force of the ABA Section of Antitrust.
According to Chambers Global (2011), Mr. Geradin “is well known for his writing”, with commentators describing him as “one of the best antitrust theoreticians around.”
- Several pharmaceutical firms in relation to Article 101 and 102 TFEU matters.
- Huawei in relation to a preliminary ruling of the compatibility of injunctions for standard-essential patents with EU competition law.
- Huawei in relation to a complaint filed to the European Commission against InterDigital for abuses of its standard-essential patents.
- bpost in relation to a State aid investigation by the European Commission for the period 1992-2010, and the subsequent appeal to the Commission decision at the General Court of the EU.
- bpost in relation to a notification of a compensation package for missions of services of general economic interest (SGEI) granted to it by the Belgian Government.
- Microsoft in its complaint against Google regarding abusive practices in online search markets.
- CEZ in the European Commission’s investigation of some of their practices on the Czech energy market.
- Slovak Telekom in relation to an appeal the General Court of the EU against a decision forcing Slovak Telekom to submit documents pre-dating Slovakia’s accession to the EU.
Honors and Rankings
- The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists (2014)
- IFLR Expert Guides, Competition and Antitrust (2014)
- Euromoney's Expert Guides, Competition and Antitrust (2014)
- Chambers Global, Competition/European Law (Belgium) (2011-2014)
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law and TMT - Belgium (2011-2014)
- Best Lawyers in Belgium, Competition/Antitrust (Competition) (2013-2014)
- PLC Which Lawyer? EU Competition/Anti-Trust (2012)
- Legal 500 EMEA
- Competition - Belgium (2010-2011, 2014)
- EU Regulatory, Information Technology (2014)
- Who’s Who Legal
- Telecoms & Media (2014)
- Regulatory Communications (2011-2013)
- Competition (2010-2013)
Publications and Speeches
- "Promoting Life Science Products," Webinar (6/17/2014)
- "Anticompetitive Practices in the Pharmaceutical Sector: An Overview of EU and National Case Law," e-Competitions: Antitrust Case Law Bulletin (2/11/2014), Co-Author
- "Advanced EU Competition Law," IBC Legal’s Annual Flagship Forum (11/26/2013)