Damien Geradin is a partner in the firm's Brussels office, with broad experience in EU competition law, intellectual property and the regulation of network industries
Mr. Geradin has acquired significant experience on the interface between competition law and intellectual property. In particular, he has been involved in several major cases involving standard-essential patents in the mobile industry.
Mr. Geradin’s practice also focuses on the application of competition law and regulation in network industries. He advises businesses, governments and regulatory agencies on issues affecting a variety of such industries, including telecommunications, media, postal services, energy and transport.
Mr. Geradin is currently a Professor of competition law and economics at Tilburg University and a William Cook Global Law Professor at the University of Michigan Law School. Over the years, he has held visiting Professorships at leading US law schools including Columbia, Harvard and Yale. He is the co-editor of the Journal of Competition Law and Economics (Oxford University Press).
According to Chambers Global (2011), Mr. Geradin "is well known for his writing, with commentators describing him as "one of the best antitrust theoreticians around."
- Huawei in relation to a complaint filed to the European Commission against InterDigital for abuses of its standard-essential patents.
- bpost in relation to State aid investigation by the European Commission for the period 1992-2010, and the subsequent appeal to the Commission decision at the General Court of the EU.
- bpost in relation to a notification of a compensation package for missions of services of general economic interest (SGEI) granted to it by the Belgian Government.
- Microsoft in its complaint against Google regarding abusive practices in online search markets.
- CEZ in the European Commission’s investigation of some of their practices on the Czech energy market.
- Slovak Telekom in relation to an appeal the General Court of the EU against a decision forcing Slovak Telekom to submit documents pre-dating Slovakia’s accession to the EU.
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers Global, Competition/European Law (Belgium) (2011-2013)
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law and TMT - Belgium (2011-2013)
- Best Lawyers in Belgium, Competition/Antitrust (Competition) (2013)
- PLC Which Lawyer? EU Competition/Anti-Trust (2012)
- Legal 500 EMEA, Competition - Belgium (2010-2011)
- Who’s Who Legal, Telecoms & Media (2014)
- Who’s Who Legal, Regulatory Communications (2011-2013)
- Who’s Who Legal, Competition (2010-2013)
Publications and Speeches