Daniel Cooper advises clients on information technology regulatory issues, particularly data protection, e-commerce and data security matters.
Mr. Cooper has successfully represented clients in the pharmaceutical research, biotech, sports and financial services sectors, among others, before national data protection regulators and EU-level authorities, including European Union and Council of Europe institutions. According to the latest edition of Chambers UK (2014), clients note that he "is extremely knowledgeable and provides practical and comprehensive advice." The guide describes him as "outstanding. He is practical, responsive and smart."
Mr. Cooper also regularly assists leading technology companies, including social networking sites, online content and entertainment providers, and e-shopping sites, on their European and global compliance strategies. He also has deep experience with the regulation of mobile and e-health technologies. Mr. Cooper is also known for his ability to guide clients through the issues arising from data breach incidents, and has advised a number of high-profile clients in this area. Mr. Cooper co-authored the data protection standard that governs organized sport.
Mr. Cooper is dual-qualified in the United States and United Kingdom, and also has been appointed to the advisory and expert boards of privacy NGOs and agencies, such as Privacy International and the European security agency, ENISA.
- Advising Facebook, the online social network, on its compliance with European data protection laws.
- Advising eBay, the online trading platform, on privacy issues in the e-discovery context.
- Advising Expedia, and its sister company, TripAdvisor, on compliance with data protection and security rules in Europe and Asia.
- Advising Wikimedia Foundation, responsible for the Wikipedia publication, with respect to European laws regulating charitable organizations and cross-border transfers of data.
- Advising Microsoft on its various online services and data protection compliance.
- Advising the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) with respect to its compliance with European data privacy laws in connection with its global administration and management of athlete doping procedures.
- Advising UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) on UK privacy regulations as applied to athlete drug testing.
- Advising Procter & Gamble on its online behavioral advertising practices and related collaborations with ad networks.
- Advising Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Novartis, Abbott, Gilead, Alcon, Genzyme, Johnson & Johnson, MSD and UCB on their compliance with European data protection rules relating to clinical trials, e-health platforms, genetic testing and in other contexts.
- Advising CBS Interactive on its online privacy policies and data processing practices in Europe and Asia.
- Advising Viacom, the global mass media company, in connection with UK data protection law matters.
- Advising Deutsche Bank on various data protection issues in the UK and Germany.
- Advising American Express in connection with its fraud detection program and initiatives involving “Big Data”.
- Assisting UnitedHealthGroup (UHG) with cross-border transfers of personal data and compliance with European registration rules.
- Advising Privacy International, the privacy-rights NGO, with respect to emerging EU and other privacy and data retention laws
Honors and Rankings
- Chambers UK, Data Protection (2009-2014)
- Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom, Privacy & Data Protection Law (2014)
- Super Lawyers - London, Computer and IT Law (2013)
- Chambers Global, Data Protection (2008-2014)
- Legal 500 UK, Data Protection (2012-2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Media & Entertainment (2013)
- Legal 500 UK, Sport (2013)
- Who's Who Legal, Information Technology (2013)
- Legal 500 EMEA, EU Regulatory, Privacy and Data Protection - Belgium (2011)
- Advising consortium of privacy-rights organizations in connection with the human rights implications of EU laws on data retention and amassing information from electronic communications services providers.
Memberships and Affiliations
- DataGuidance Pharma Panel of Experts, Member
- European Privacy Association, member
- Computer Law and Security Review, member of the Professional Board
- U.K. Law Society's ad hoc group on data protection, Member
- Privacy International, Board of Trustees
- CASRO, General Counsel and Privacy Officer's Forum
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law, Data Protection Research and Policy Committee, Member
- European Privacy Officers Network (EPON), Member
- MI5, Advisor on data privacy issues
Publications and Speeches
- "Protection of the Private Sphere, Fight Against Terrorism and Internet Surveillance: How to Reconcile These Priorities?," XIIth International CIFA Forum (4/23/2014)
- "Privacy/Data Protection Regulation of Biobanks," Biobanking Global Congress 2014 Europe (3/28/2014)
- "The Future of the Safe Harbor Agreement," Covington E-Alert (1/22/2014), Co-Author