Clara Shin advises clients in complex technology, intellectual property, unfair competition, and other commercial disputes. The Daily Journal has recognized her as one of California’s top intellectual property litigators and for obtaining one of the top verdicts in the state.
Most recently, Ms. Shin secured a unanimous jury verdict for a Covington client on all causes of action—including willful federal trademark infringement, common law trademark infringement, and federal unfair competition—and punitive damages. Ms. Shin also won a Ninth Circuit ruling for Autodesk defining the scope of software licensing and the first sale doctrine under copyright law as well as a Federal Circuit victory for Abbott Diabetes Care Inc. and Abbott Laboratories in a precedential opinion that affirmed the district court’s denial of attorneys’ fees.
Ms. Shin’s practice includes expertise in securities litigation. She has represented defendants in securities class actions, derivative litigation, and investigations and proceedings commenced by government and regulatory agencies including the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, and FINRA.
Representing Microsoft in breach of contract and copyright infringement suits in various federal courts across the United States.
- Representing UK-based private equity companies in asserting breach of contract claims related to earn-out payments due under a Share Purchase Agreement.
- Represented a clothing company against Quiksilver in securing a unanimous jury verdict on willful federal trademark infringement, common law trademark infringement, and federal unfair competition claims; punitive damages; and attorney’s fees and costs.
- Represented an investment bank in asserting trade secret, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and breach of fiduciary duty claims. After arguing and winning a summary judgment ruling of fiduciary duty liability, defendants settled the case.
- Represented Abbott Diabetes Care Inc. and Abbott Laboratories in securing an affirmance by the Federal Circuit of the district court’s denial of supplemental fees sought by Becton Dickinson & Co. and Nova Biomedical.
- Represented Autodesk in a successful Ninth Circuit appeal of an adverse ruling regarding the Copyright Act's first sale and essential step doctrines.
- Represented the Pacific Maritime Association in a federal trial over ERISA claims for breaches of fiduciary duty in an employee benefit plan.
- Ms. Shin served as a White House Fellow and Special Assistant in the White House Office of the Chief of Staff. She also helped to design and launch the AmeriCorps national service program.
Honors and Rankings
Memberships and Affiliations
State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Smithsonian Institution National Portrait Gallery, Commissioner
- National Partnership for Women and Families, Director
- Rosenberg Foundation, Trustee