- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Santa Clara Law Review, Technical Editor
- Brigham Young University, B.S., 2000
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Chris Eppich advises domestic and international clients through complex intellectual property disputes. Mr. Eppich has particular experience representing companies in patent litigations and trade secret disputes in a range of arts and practices, including semiconductor products and processes, mobile device components, medical devices, and chemical and pharmaceutical processes. Mr. Eppich also advises clients through patent licensing and trademark disputes and counsels clients on a variety of intellectual property licensing issues. Mr. Eppich is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and has experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and in the analysis of patent landscapes from both a freedom to operate and patentability perspective.
- Peregrine Semiconductor v. RF Micro Devices (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California). Secured favorable settlement for Peregrine Semiconductor in a multi-patent litigation involving radio frequency switch devices.
- Successfully defended one of the world’s largest smartphone and tablet manufacturer in a multi-front patent litigation seeking over a half-billion dollars in damages and an injunction for the infringement of six allegedly standards-essential patents subject to complex FRAND licensing issues.
- DTS, Inc. v. SiriusXM Radio, Inc. (American Arbitration Association). Secured favorable result for DTS in an arbitration over licensing obligations.
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., et al. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al. (U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California). Successfully represented Samsung Electronics Co. in patent litigation involving various technologies including memory devices, process technology and microprocessors.
- DTS, Inc. v. Zoran, Corp., (International Center for Dispute Resolution, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Superior Court, Los Angeles County). Secured favorable award for DTS in arbitration and state and Federal litigations over the scope of RAND licensing obligations.
Honors and Rankings
- San Diego Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property "Rising Star" (2015)
- Successfully represented an indigent client in a habeas proceeding challenging a life sentence without parole under California’s Three Strikes law in Orange County Superior Court.
- Successfully obtained political asylum for an indigent refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
Publications and Speeches
- "Patent Dilemma: Drugs for Profit v. Drugs for Health," Santa Clara Law Review, Vol. 43, No. 1 (7/22/2005), Author
- "United States Litigation and Prosecution After Festo III," IP Value 2004: Building and Enforcing IP Value: An International Guide for the Boardroom (7/22/2005), Author