Carolyn Corwin is a partner specializing in representation of state governments, transportation regulation, federal energy regulation, and appellate litigation. In recent years, she has handled matters before regulatory agencies and courts in the state government, transportation, and energy areas. She has represented clients in a number of antitrust litigation matters and has handled competition issues in regulatory proceedings before several federal agencies. She is co-chair of the firm’s Industries, Regulatory, and Legislative Umbrella Group.
Ms. Corwin has been involved in a variety of litigation matters at both the trial and appellate levels. While working in the Office of the Solicitor General, Ms. Corwin argued nine cases before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- State of Louisiana Department of Health and Human Services - represented the Department in an appeal from the decision of the HHS Departmental Appeals Board denying federal funding of certain State expenditures for disproportionate share hospitals.
- For Union Pacific Railroad, preparation of comments in a Surface Transportation Board rulemaking involving competition issues (Competition in the Rail Industry, Ex Parte 705).
- San Diego Gas & Electric (D.C. Cir.) - argued an appeal from a decision of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission addressing allocation of Congestion Revenue Rights by the California Independent System Operator.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Assistant to the Solicitor General (1982-1985)
- Friends of the Highline - representation before the Surface Transportation Board of a citizens group seeking to preserve an unused elevated rail line on the west side of Manhattan.
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Law Institute, Member
- Transportation Industry Committee, ABA Antitrust Law Section, Chair and Vice Chair (2001-2006)
- Georgetown University Law Center Supreme Court Institute, Advisory Board Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Energy Bar Association, Member