Bill Wichterman is a non-lawyer Senior Legislative Advisor in Covington’s Public Policy and Government Affairs practice.
Prior to joining Covington, Mr. Wichterman served as Special Assistant to President George W. Bush and as the President’s personal liaison to the conservative movement. Before serving in the White House, he held a number of senior staff-level positions on Capitol Hill, including as Policy Advisor to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, and Chief of Staff to Congressman Joe Pitts and Congressman Bill Baker.
Mr. Wichterman also has inside experience in congressional and presidential campaigns, serving most recently as a chief advisor to the Santorum 2012 presidential campaign, and has previously been a key staff participant on the Republican Convention's Platform Committee.
Mr. Wichterman has more than 25 years of experience in policy-making and is skilled at developing and implementing comprehensive strategies -- including the media, opinion-makers, and interest groups -- to accomplish the policy goals of his clients. He calls upon his nearly two decades of government service and extensive knowledge of the policy-making and political structures in Washington to counsel clients in various industries on a wide range of matters related to patent reform, health care, employment/pensions, technology, pharmaceuticals, financial institutions, and tax policy, among others. Mr. Wichterman also represents coalitions and associations in a variety of industries, including in the automotive field.
In addition to his work on domestic policy issues, Mr. Wichterman has worked extensively on international matters during his time in government and in private practice, and has particular expertise on trade, finance, and sanctions matters, such as the U.S. and EU sanctions against Russia related to the unrest in Ukraine. He advises clients on the ongoing Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations, and while serving in the White House during the Bush administration he was engaged on issues related to the negotiation of the U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement.
- Advisor to the Santorum 2012 presidential campaign
- Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Director of Public Liaison at the White House
- U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Policy Advisor
- Rep. Joseph Pitts, Chief of Staff
- Rep. Bill Baker, Chief of Staff
- Rep. Bob Walker, Legislative Assistant
Publications and Speeches
- "Russian Intervention in Ukraine," Covington E-Alert & Advisory (3/5/2014), Co-Author
- "Making Goodness Fashionable," Creating the Better Hour: Lessons from William Wilberforce (2007), Author
- "The Culture: Upstream from Politics," Building a Healthy Culture: Strategies for an American Renaissance (2001), Author