Ben Razi represents clients in high-stakes civil litigation and government enforcement matters. An experienced litigator, Mr. Razi has tried cases to verdict and regularly argues significant motions in state and federal courts across the country. He has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in complex business disputes, involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, professional malpractice, and other business torts. Mr. Razi also has expertise in and regularly handles litigation involving the pharmaceutical and financial services industries, as well as whistleblower claims, False Claims Act litigation, and securities and antitrust litigation and investigations.
Based on his recent accomplishments on behalf of our clients, Mr. Razi was recognized as a “Rising Star” by the legal publication Law360. In a profile, Law360 noted that Mr. Razi “relishes any chance to turn the tables on overzealous” adversaries and that “his tenaciousness has paid off for a slew of corporate clients and their executives since he made partner in 2008."
High Stakes Civil Litigation
- Lead counsel for Salix Pharmaceuticals in ongoing lawsuit brought by collaboration partner Napo Pharmaceuticals over rights to first-in-class gastrointestinal drug.
- Co-lead counsel in successful multi-week jury trial in Maryland state court on behalf of Plaintiff in real estate partnership lawsuit.
- Co-lead counsel for Plaintiff in Wone v. Price, et al., wrongful death lawsuit arising out of murder of Washington lawyer Robert Wone. Favorable settlement reached after extensive discovery in which Defendants invoked Fifth Amendment rather than attempt to refute Plaintiff’s allegations.
- Won summary judgment for Pfizer and Pharmacia in qui tam False Claims Act case involving alleged kickbacks to doctors and off-label promotion of human growth hormone product. United States ex. rel Rost v. Pfizer, et al., No. 03-11084-PBS (D. Mass. Sept. 14, 2010).
- Won complete defense victory for GPC Biotech AG following seven day arbitration hearing in high stakes licensing dispute brought by Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Government Enforcement Matters/Investigations
- Defending former CEO of IndyMac Bancorp in SEC federal court lawsuit and other litigation arising from government takeover of IndyMac Bank. See, e.g., SEC v. Perry, No. CV–11–1309 R, 2012 WL 1959566 (C.D. Cal. May 31, 2012) (granting our client's motion for partial summary judgment); In re IndyMac Mortgage-Backed Securities Litigation, 718 F. Supp. 2d 495, 505-07 (S.D.N.Y. 2010) (granting our client's motion to dismiss).
- Represented Hewlett Packard Company in an internal investigation involving the company’s former CEO.
- Represented Wall Street brokerage firm Jefferies & Company, Inc., in SEC and NASD investigations relating to client entertainment and gifts.
- Successful defense of major chemical company in DOJ price fixing investigation.
Honors and Rankings
- Law360, Rising Star - White Collar (2013)
- Legal 500 US, Financial Services Litigation (2013)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers, Rising Star - Business Litigation (2013)
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
Publications and Speeches