David Hull is resident in the firm’s Brussels office and began practicing EU competition law in Brussels in 1984. Mr. Hull represents clients before the EU courts in Luxembourg and the European Commission and advises them on all aspects of competition law, including cartel investigations, the clearance of mergers and joint ventures, the structuring of distribution, technology licensing and other commercial arrangements, and issues related to abuse of dominant position. He has particular expertise in issues arising from the intersection of competition and intellectual property law involving hi-tech industries such as pharmaceuticals, software, and telecommunications.
According to Chambers Global (2012), clients are highly complimentary about Mr. Hull, commenting: "He has so many years of experience you never have to look anything up, it's all in his head. He understands what's important for our business, and has strong industry knowledge and excellent drafting skills."
- Counsel to Ryanair in its appeal against the European Commission's decision to block its proposed acquisition of Ireland's national carrier, Aer Lingus.
- Serving as co-counsel to Microsoft in its appeal to the European Court of First Instance seeking annulment of a fine of €280.5 million imposed by the European Commission.
- Representing one of the world’s leading oil companies in obtaining leniency under the EU’s cartel leniency program in connection with an investigation into the bitumen market.
- Advising numerous pharmaceutical and biotech companies including Eli Lilly, Procter & Gamble, AstraZeneca, Gilead Sciences, and GPC Biotech on the European component of their global in-licensing and co-development transactions, and on the structuring of their European distribution networks.
- Representing Qualcomm before the European Court of First Instance in challenging the European Commission’s clearance of a joint venture between Deutsche Telekom and DaimlerChrysler.
Honors and Rankings
- The International Who's Who of Life Sciences Lawyers (2011-2012)
- Legal 500 EMEA (2010-2011)
- Chambers Global (2009-2013)
- Chambers Europe (2009-2013)
- PLC Which Lawyer? (2012)
- PLC Competition Handbook (2005-2010)
- Legal Experts EMEA (2006-2010)
- The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists (2009)
Memberships and Affiliations
- International Antitrust Law Committee, ABA Section of International Law, Vice-Chair
- European Competition and IP Law, University of Liège School of Law, Adjunct Professor
Publications and Speeches