Alan Larson provides clients with international public policy advice, counseling and representation. His practice encompasses international trade and investment, foreign acquisitions, foreign assistance, intellectual property rights, anti-corruption, trade controls, energy, food and agriculture, human rights and anti-trust/comity. Mr. Larson is Chairman of the Board of Transparency International/USA, a Board Member of Bread for the World, a member of the Board of Counselors of Kissinger McLarty Associates and a Distinguished Fellow at the Council on Competitiveness. Previously, he served as Under Secretary of State for Economics. He retired from State as Career Ambassador, the Department’s highest honor.
- Represented pharmaceutical companies seeking stronger intellectual property rights protection in a challenging foreign market.
- Advised a European firm on obtaining contracts with US and multilateral assistance agencies.
- Advised and represented a foreign firm seeking to acquire a US-based technology company.
- Advised an internet firm on human rights and privacy issues in a difficult foreign market.
- Advised a European firm seeking payment under a UN Oil for Food contract.
- Advised firms on trade compliance issues associated with US sanctions and trade controls.
- Advised a company on securing fair treatment of its product by a multilateral development bank.
- Department of State, Economic, Business and Agricultural Affairs, Under Secretary of State (1999-2005)
- Department of State, Economic and Business Affairs, Assistant Secretary of State (1996-1999)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Ambassador (1990-1993)
Honors and Rankings
- Secretary of State’s Distinguished Service Award, Department of State (2005)
- Career Ambassador, U.S. Department of State (2004)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Transparency International/USA, Chairman of the Board
- Helping Children Worldwide, Board Member
- McLarty Associates, Board of Counselors
- Co-Chaired private sector advisory panels for Obama Administration on bilateral investment treaties and corporate social responsibility guidelines
Publications and Speeches
Recent Congressional Testimonies
- Testimony before the Senate Finance Committee on Strengthening the Rule of Law for U.S. Business in Russia, by Alan Larson, March 15, 2012.
- Testimony before the House Subcommittee on International Monetary Policy and Trade of the House Financial Services Committee on Multilateral Development Banks Support U.S. National Security Objectives, by Alan Larson, September 15, 2011.
- Testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee Subcommittee on Trade on the model Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT), by Alan Larson, May 14, 2009.
- Testimony before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Investments and Acquisitions in the United States by Government Entities, by Alan Larson, November 14, 2007.
- Testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, by Alan Larson, June 21, 2006.