Benjamin Hoch, chairman of our Bankruptcy & Corporate Restructuring Practice, advises US and international clients in all aspects of the financial restructuring and reorganization practice. He has represented debtors, official and ad hoc creditors’ committees, bank groups, and debtor in possession lenders in workouts, restructurings, and Chapter 11 cases. He also has a significant Distressed M&A practice advising buyers of distressed assets in and out of bankruptcy. His clients have recommended him for his strategic advice, crisis management, and his practical and pragmatic approach in dealing with issues of financial distress.
Mr. Hoch has worked on restructurings in a variety of industries, including construction, manufacturing, energy, electric utility, retail, insurance, transportation, internet, aerospace, real estate, lodging, and entertainment. His experience includes a number of cross-border restructurings involving entities with operations in the United Kingdom, Bermuda, British Virgin Isles, and Latin America.
- Contech Engineered Solutions: Represented this leading provider of engineering and site solutions in the residential, commercial and infrastructure markets (formerly Contech Construction Products) in its recent recapitalization, including implementation of new equity ownership and long term financing of both first lien and second lien debt.
- Nortel Networks: Represented Microsoft as a principal member of the consortium submitting the winning bid for the worldwide licensing and patent portfolio of Nortel for $4.5 Billion
- Eclipse Aviation: Represented the Ad Hoc Noteholders Committee in the Chapter 11 case of this private jet manufacturer.
- Fiber Composites: Represented this leading manufacturer of wood composite decking and fencing in the restructuring of its secured and junior debt and the combined merger with a strategic partner
- Lehman Bros.: Represented numerous financial institutions and parties relating to the unwind of derivative transactions.
- Represented a number of banks in the restructuring of a foreign Tier 1 auto supplier.
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company: Represented PG&E Corporation in the restructuring of its regulated utility and as co-proponent of PG&E’s confirmed plan.
- National Energy and Gas Transportation: Represented PG&E Corporation in the restructuring of its merchant energy and trading subsidiaries, including defense of a $500 million litigation brought by NEGT and its committees against PG&E Corporation and two of its officers.
- Trenwick Holdings: Represented this multi-national insurance holding company with operations in the US, Bermuda, and the UK in its Chapter 11 case and related proceedings.
- Grand Eagle: Represented the Secured Bank Group in the Chapter 11 of this company in the business of repairing transformers and other electrical transmission equipment.
- U.S. Airways: Represented a holder of various debt and equity positions in a number of leveraged aircraft transactions.
Honors and Rankings
- Best Lawyers in America (2008-2013)
- Legal 500 US (2013)
- New York Super Lawyers (2007-2011)
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
Publications and Speeches