- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- cum laude
- NYU Law Review, member and editor
- Order of the Coif
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, B.S., 1980
- Hon. Leonard B. Sand, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1984-1985
- Hon. Naomi Reice Buchwald, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1981-1982
Alan Vinegrad is a partner in the firm's New York office and a member of the firm's White Collar Defense and Trial Practice Groups. His practice focuses on representing individuals, corporations and corporate board committees in a wide variety of criminal and regulatory enforcement matters, as well as in complex civil litigation. He has represented numerous clients in connection with investigations and prosecutions by the U.S. Department of Justice, various U.S. Attorney’s Offices around the country, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York State Attorney General, and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.
Mr. Vinegrad joined the firm after serving as the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. He previously served as the office's Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney, Chief of the Criminal Division, Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division, Chief of Civil Rights Litigation and Chief of General Crimes. In addition to his executive and supervisory responsibilities, Mr. Vinegrad investigated and prosecuted numerous criminal cases, personally tried over a dozen cases, and argued over 20 cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Adelphia Communications Corporation in defense of the federal criminal investigation, SEC enforcement action and threatened forfeiture actions arising out of wrongdoing by members of the Rigas family.
- A senior executive of a large reinsurance company in defense of a federal criminal prosecution, SEC enforcement action and civil action arising out of alleged $500 million accounting fraud by American International Group, Inc.
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Tyco International Inc. arising out of wrongdoing by members of the company’s prior management.
- A senior executive of an energy company in defense of a criminal prosecution by the Government of Ecuador and related civil proceedings.
- Several major investment banking firms in connection with various criminal, SEC, state and New York Stock Exchange investigations into suspected insider trading, accounting fraud, and other federal violations.
- United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of New York (1990-1997, 1998-2002)
- Price Waterhouse & Co., Staff Accountant (1980-1981)
Honors and Rankings
- Selected by Chambers USA as a leading attorney in the areas of white collar crime and government investigations (2007-2012).
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the areas of bet-the-company litigation, commercial litigation, and white collar criminal defense (2010-2013).
- Who's Who Legal, Business Crime Defence (2012)
- Legal 500 US, Litigation - White Collar Criminal Defense (2012)
- Selected by Law360 as White Collar MVP (2011).
- Selected as a "Top Gun" by Ethisphere Magazine (2009).
- The International Who's Who of Business Crime Lawyers (2008)
- 2005 Milton S. Gould Award for Outstanding Oral Advocacy from the New York City Office of the Appellate Defender.
- United States Attorney General's Award for Distinguished Service in 1997 for the prosecution of the men responsible for the death of Yankel Rosenbaum during the Crown Heights riots in Brooklyn, New York.
- Henry L. Stimson Medal from the Association of the Bar of the City of New York in 1993 for being the outstanding prosecutor in the United States Attorney’s Office.
- Represented several not-for-profit organizations in connection with allegations of financial wrongdoing by members of their management.
- Represent family members of the victim of a terrorist attack in Israel.
- Represent the teenage victim of a sexual assault at a residential treatment facility in Westchester, New York.
Memberships and Affiliations
- New York Law School, member of the adjunct faculty teaching trial advocacy
- Federal Bar Council, member of the Executive Committee
- Federal Bar Foundation, President
- The New York Law Journal, member of the Board of Editors and regular columnist on Sentencing
- Eastern District Association (U.S. Attorney’s Office alumni organization), President
- Vera Institute of Justice, member of the Board of Directors
- American Bar Association, New York City Bar Association and National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, member
Publications and Speeches