Agnieszka (Aga) Polcyn is an associate in the London office of Covington & Burling, having previously worked in the Brussels office of the firm. Her practice focuses on European and international trade law, financial services regulation as well as litigation before the European Courts.
Her experience extends to a broad range of trade and customs matters, such as the EU and international economic sanctions, EU and national export controls, anti-corruption compliance and investigations (including the U.S. FCPA and the UK Bribery Act), trade defence (anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard measures), preferential trade arrangements, rules of origin and classification.
In addition to trade and customs matters, Aga also advises clients on EU financial services regulation.
- Assisted clients in export and sanctions licensing and compliance issues with regard to a variety of industries and products.
- Drafted voluntary self-disclosures, export compliance strategies, and policies necessary to ensure compliance with export controls and economic sanctions.
- Represented a Russian businessman challenging before the General Court of the EU a decision to include him on the list of designated persons subject to asset freezing restrictions pursuant to the EU’s economic sanctions against Belarus; advised on the impact of the designation on his business operations in several EU Member States.
- Represented the Council of the European Union in more than 20 anti-dumping and anti-subsidy cases before the Court of Justice and the General Court of the EU.
- Represented the European Chemicals Agency before the General Court of the EU in a case concerning the Agency’s decisions under the EU REACH Regulation.
- Assisted clients in investigations arising under the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the UK Bribery Act, and other anti-corruption laws, with a particular focus on Russia and other markets in Eastern Europe.
- Prepared complaints and represented EU industry in several anti-dumping and anti-subsidy cases.
- Advised importers in anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations initiated by the EU.
Advised companies on the application of EU financial services regulations.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Barreau de Bruxelles, avocat
- Registered European Lawyer, England and Wales
Publications and Speeches