- College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Graduated first in class
- Order of the Coif
- William and Mary Law Review, Managing Editor
- Davidson College, B.A., 1981
- Hon. John Butzner, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1989-1990
Anna Engh is a partner in the firm’s litigation group. Her practice focuses on insurance coverage. She has a wide range of experience in the insurance coverage area. She has handled coverage litigation and negotiated insurance recoveries on behalf of corporate policyholders for a variety of claims, including asbestos, lead, and other mass tort claims; environmental liabilities; first party property damage; directors and officers and errors and omissions claims; and political risks. Clients that she has represented in the coverage area include Foster Wheeler, UnitedHealth, Nestlé USA, TRW, Dow Corning, Owens Corning, and Société Générale. Ms. Engh has significant experience in trial and appellate courts as well as in arbitration forums. At Covington, she serves or has served as a member of the Management Committee, as hiring partner and as co-chair of the summer associate program.
- Litigation counsel for major company in asbestos coverage dispute involving numerous insurers.
- Represent various companies in settling asbestos, lead, and other coverage disputes with their insurers.
Special insurance counsel for major company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding; successfully resolved many millions of dollars of asbestos-related coverage disputes through litigation and arbitration.
- Successfully resolved lost policy dispute through litigation and mediation.
- Successfully resolved hurricane-related first party property coverage dispute.
Honors and Rankings
- Euromoney, "World’s Leading Women in Business Law" (2013)
- Named in 2012 by Business Insurance as among "25 Women to Watch," an annual salute to business leaders and influential executives doing outstanding work in insurance-related fields.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers
- The Legal 500 US
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
- Shortlisted for the Euromoney Americas Women in Business Law Awards for the “Best in Insurance & Reinsurance” (2012).
- The Lawdragon’s 3000 Leading Lawyers in America
- Vault's Legal Women Leaders
- Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll
- First-chair counsel in three-week jury trial, which concluded in a defense verdict for client, a non-profit organization sued by a developer for defamation.
- Litigated employment-related case to favorable judgment.
- National Capital Chapter, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Special Service Award.
- Volunteer, Bread for the City legal clinic
Memberships and Affiliations
- William & Mary Law School, President, Foundation Board (2009-2011)
- William & Mary Law School, Member, Dean Search Committee (2008-2009)
- ABA Federal Practice Task Force and ABA Task Force on Discovery, former member
- Speaker and panelist on insurance topics at ABA and various other conferences.
Publications and Speeches
- "Chutes and Ladders: Hurdles In Reaching Your Next Layer of Coverage," ABA WIN Conference, DC (2012)
- "Mathematical Estimates of Carrier Exposures: Overview of Settlement Credits," Perrin Conference's Emerging Insurance Coverage and Allocation Issues, NYC (2012)
- "Insurance," chapter in Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, 3d ed. (2011), Co-Author